Monday, November 16, 2009

Live hot Jelabi !


Ok.... I have my own Kryptonite. Rather I have a few things which qualify as my kryptonite.... Ice cream (Choco chips, death by chocolate), my mom's Ba-Chya-Ka (its a code word) and a few more. But what comes first on the list is an awesome Jalebi. I think I got this from my Mama. He has the same liking for it and both of us can easily finish off all the jalebis in a wedding reception. But as I have moved away from home, the customary jalebi on my B'day has also stopped. Since 2nd June, 2008, I haven't had the chance to eat a decent Jalebi. And then... today dawned. The Gastronomical Gods of the IBM Food court rained blessings upon us. (Normally that is when the food is actually cooked properly, or even cooked for that matter) They had a stall for Live Hot Jalebi. Word of caution..... never doubt the guy making the Jalebis. Heavy is the head that makes the Jalebi curve. 15 bucks for 6 jalebis..... thats a freaking steal in Bangalore! So there I was, watching my Jalebis fry and then drown in sugar syrup. I mean, my state had literally become something like that kid from the Dhara ad many years back....Jalebi!!! But then I was in for a rude shock.... and a real high from all the sugar that went into my body. Have you ever seen how blood gushes out of the gunshot wounds in movies? yeah... that was how the syrup was pouring out of the jalebis. My brain was telling me only one thing. Syrup se lath path lath path.....Khaana mat khaana mat . Newsflash.... too much sugar..... not good for health. A sugar high causes me to concentrate in office. yeah.... I concentrate in office when on a sugar high.... Makes sleeping a little difficult. And then the problems really begin.... I start getting work. And not the interesting I-can-go-without-sleep-for-the-next-5-days-and-experience-hallucinations-of-grandeur work. I get the oh-God-not-again-where-is-the-nearest-wall-i-want-to-bang-my-head-on-it-bad-dobby-bad-dobby kind of work. And then when I finally reach home, that is the time when the Japanese are having breakfast. Yeah, I just made that up and Googled Japan time for coming up with that line. Nevertheless, it is true. Coming back to the Jalebis. Live Hot Jalebis.... you bet.... i burned my tongue on them. The sugar level in them was something which would kill Jane Fonda by just thinking of it. The calories in it were probably enough to run my bike for 2 min. But hey, it was all worth it. Once in a while, you just think from your stomach, not your brain. Oh well.... there goes my diet.

3 comments:

Ashwini said...

haha ur diet is but a lost cause ;)
btw good description of jalebis - der is this one place in marthalli where u get amaaazing jalebis :) u can try dem out! - n damn...i can't!!

Ashwin Ranade @24 said...

@Ashwini... Ha ha ha... Have a pretzel :P

Narayanan (Nada!!) said...

not bad man... ur humor has evolved..
nice stuff